Monday, September 28, 2009

Blue Moon by Alyson Noel

Publisher's Plot Summary: Eager to learn everything she can about her new abilities as an Immortal, Ever turns to her beloved Damen to show her the way. But just as her powers are increasing, Damen's are waning. In an attempt to save him, Ever travels to the magical dimension of Summerland, where she learns the secrets of Damen's tortured past; a past which he has always kept hidden from her. But in her quest to cure Damen, Ever discovers an ancient text that details the workings of time. Now Ever must choose between turning back the past and saving her family from the accident that claimed their lives -- or staying in the present and saving Damen, who grows sicker every day...

Enter Stage Left: Another Young Adult novel with supernatural undertones with two characters possessing an undying (or in this book's case, reincarnating) love that is of epic Romeo and Juliet-like proportions. Now granted, this book did not involve vampires. So for that we can excuse the slightly over-done theme. Plus, we had it coming. It's what we're all asking for in the aftermath of twilight.

I'll say that the first book, Evermore, was about a 3 out of 5 for me. As in, "Yeah, I'll read it. It's pretty good. But I'm not going out of my way to get a copy of it." To same was to be said for Blue Moon. Rather than rushing out to get my copy when it came out, I waited for the library to stock it. And I have pretty similar feelings towards it as I did Evermore. I half listened and half read to this book. I was fortunate to have access to an MP3 audiobook and a hard copy. And with a daily 2 hour car trip to school and back, I use my time wisely.

In this book, Ever just seems...immature and needy. And it has a very New Moon'ish vibe. Which is funny considering the title similarities. Most of the book is spent with Damen and all of Ever's friends turning against her. So she begins to revert to her self we were introduced to in Evermore. Hoodie-wearing, I-pod using, all out shirking the world around her. And there was one thing that just gnawed at me and made me dislike the book as it went on. I've heard other reviewers mention this: when an author uses a phrase or action again and again. And when you are listening to the book it becomes more evident. This books repitive phrase: "I pressed my lips together..." Seriously. It was Ever's reaction to anything bad, hurtfull, stressfull, of maybe if she was just bored. I lost count how many times this happened.

And I'm not really buying into the whole red-drink-consuming, Immortal, summerland visitin' world. It just doesn't jive for me. I can't explain why. All-in-all, not bad, but not spectacular.

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Hello Britt – I hope you don’t mind me dropping by. I’m a British author and a fellow Bookblogs member and my next novel, Thaw, will be published online next year after its physical publication. I wanted to invite you (and your readers) to participate in my Blogsplash - there’s more information at http://www.fionarobyn.com/thawblogsplash.htm. Thanks for listening!
    Hector Macdonald said...
    Hi Britt

    I’d like to invite you to write about your favorite books at www.bookdrum.com, where you can add information, images, video, music and links to illustrate and explore the books.

    Right now, we're running a $3,000 Tournament and we'll be offering contract work to the best entries.

    Best wishes

    Hector Macdonald
    Editor, Book Drum

Post a Comment